|Season 10, Episode 7|
|Air date||3rd December 2000|
|Written by||John Milne|
|Directed by||Geoff Wonfor|
The Fool on the Hill
Charismatic traveller, Johnny Lee, unwittingly brings a dangerous criminal to Aidensfield, a crisis ensues involving Johnny and David, and Greengrass can't resist the chance to make a fast buck on a pony and trap race.
Two young men try to rob a bookmaker's shop in Malton, but they are frightened off when their gun does not fire. During their escape one of the men, Peter Corcoran, injures his partner Nathaniel Cooper when he test fire the gun in the car. They dump their car in a stream and set out in opposite directions. Cooper hitches a hike with the gipsy - sorry, traveller - Johnny Lee, who is on his way to the horse fair in Aidensfield. Lee hides him and disposes of the gun. The police soon pick up Corcoran, and Lee turns against Cooper when the latter breaks into the Aidensfield Arms against his promise not to do any crimes. Another traveller, Derek Egan, persuades Greengrass to organize a race for travellers and their carriages and allows the old scoundrel to take bets on the outcome in return.
- Tricia Penrose as Gina Ward
- Bill Maynard as Claude Jeremiah Greengrass
- David Lonsdale as David Stockwell
- Derek Fowlds as Oscar Blaketon
- Damian Zuk as Nat Cooper
- Anthony McGuinness as Peter Corcoran
- Bernard Wrigley as Brown
- Mark Jordon as PC Phil Bellamy
- Jason Durr as PC Mike Bradley
- William Simons as PC Alf Ventress
- Philip Franks as Sgt Raymond Craddock
- David Essex as Johnny Lee
- Peter Christian as Derek Egan
- Kazia Pelka as Maggie Bolton
- Christine Parle as Fiona Egan
- Peter Diamond as Stunt Co-ordinator
- Greengrass: David, leave that. Come on, we've got some work to do.
- David: We're a blooming village.
- Greengrass: There's only one thing in this village I'd refer to as being a blooming, and it wouldn't be a verb, it'd be an adjective!
- David: I don't really understand that.
- Greengrass: No, neither do I. Come on!
- A brief conversation with David and Claude